Staff & Faculty
"At Baylor, we celebrate our distinctive place in higher education - where research, scholarship, and faith guide the mind in understanding the complex diversity of God’s creation and prepare the whole person for service and leadership. Baylor is committed to developing critical thinkers and active citizens for full participation in our global community. We will develop the whole person within the context of God’s creation - a rich, complexity of life and diversity."
from Baylor's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Below are ways for our faculty to engage in opportunities to exercise their critical thinking and develop an attitude of cultural humility so they can better serve the students on campus and their colleagues and communities.
Use the list below to jump to a curated selection of items the Student Life Cultural Humility Committee has compiled.
Employee Resource Groups
An Employee Resource Group serves as a resource for members and the University by fostering a diverse, inclusive workplace aligned with the institutional mission, vision, goals, business practices, and objectives.
In other words, it’s a group of faculty and staff with a common purpose coming together to provide opportunities to connect with and to support each other.
Learn more on the Human Resources ERG website.
Diversity and Pedagogy
- Association of American Colleges & Universities: Diversity, Learning, and Student Success
- Association of Jesuit Colleges & Universities Conference on Diversity & Equity
- Intergroup Dialogue & Diversity Education Institute- Hope College
Conferences Specific to Racial and Ethnic Diversity
- AAHHE-American Association of Hispanics in Higher Education
- AABHE - American Association of Blacks in Higher Education
- HACU –Hispanic Association for Colleges and Universities
- National Association for Multicultural Education
- National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in American Higher Education (NCORE)
- National Conference on Diversity, Race, & Learning
- SACNAS - Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science – National Diversity in STEM Conference
- TACHE-Texas Association of Chicanos in Higher Education
- TIDES (Teaching to Increase Diversity and Equity in STEM)
Conferences Specific to Gender Diversity
- GEA—Gender and Education Association Conference 2020
- National Women’s Studies Association, Annual Conference
Grants and External Funding
The Arthur Vining Davis Foundation Private Higher Education Grant has focus areas of:
- Leadership development for faculty, students, and senior leaders
- Interfaith literacy and leadership for curriculum, student, and faculty research
- Support for underserved education constituencies
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation's Higher Education and Scholarship in the Humanities program is focused on:
training scholars and producing scholarship in the humanities broadly conceived, and thereby contributing to culture and society. In practical terms, this means helping institutions and professional organizations respond to the economic, demographic, financial, and technological challenges affecting higher education, supporting initiatives designed to enhance the learning experience of both undergraduate and graduate students in the humanities, and fostering collaborations within and among institutions that support disciplinary innovation, foster practices of diversity and inclusion, and promote the social value of the humanities.
- Yes, Race and Politics Belong in the Classroom
- Chronicle of Higher Education Articles on Diversity
- The Case for Inclusive Teaching
- Knowing Your Students Better: A Key to Involving First-Year Students (The Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, The University of Michigan)
Religious Diversity & Inclusion
- Nurturing Interfaith Leaders
- Bringing Students of Different Religions Together
- Religious Diversity is Diversity
- Religious Diversity as Cornerstone of College Education
Resources from other Educational Institutions supporting Diversity & Inclusion in the Classroom:
- Yale Center For Teaching and Learning
- The Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning at Harvard
- Notre Dame's Kaneb Center for Teaching and Learning
- Cornell University Center for Teaching Innovation's Faculty Institute for Diversity: Train the Trainer Workshop
- Association of American Colleges and Universities' Diversity, Equity, and Inclusive Excellence
- National Center For Faculty Development and Diversity
- Embracing Otherness, Embracing Myself
- What It's Like to Be Muslim in America
- An Artist's Unflinching Look at Racial Violence